Spring Hill Slip-and-Fall Lawyer
While some slips, trips, and falls result in little more than bumps and bruises, others can result in serious injuries. Severe injuries from falls are actually more common than you might think. Statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) show there were more than 10 million emergency room visits for fall-related injuries across the country in 2017.
Many slip-and-fall accidents are caused by negligence on the part of property owners, such as poor maintenance or failing to address obvious hazards. If you’ve been injured in a slip-and-fall accident on someone else’s property, the Spring Hill slip-and-fall lawyers at Zervos & Calta, PLLC, can help. We can review your accident and discuss whether you have a valid slip and fall claim. If so, we can apply our experience and knowledge to help you seek full compensation from the property owner who is liable for your injuries.
The attorneys at Zervos & Calta, PLLC have more than 45 years of combined legal experience and have helped clients recover millions of dollars for their injuries. We are ready to help you, too. Get your free initial consultation by calling our Spring Hill office, or you can fill out the form on our contact page.
What Is the Average Settlement for a Slip-and-Fall Case?
Every Spring Hill slip-and-fall case is in some ways unique with its own set of facts. The amount you may recover depends on many factors: the extent of your injuries, the cost of your medical bills, how much work you missed, and whether you are partially responsible for your injuries.
You will need to talk to a slip-and-fall lawyer to get a sense of what compensation you may seek for your injuries. There are certain types of losses and expenses that accident victims typically demand compensation for as part of a personal injury claim. These include:
- Your missed wages if your injuries in a slip-and-fall accident caused you to miss time from work
- The cost of any medical bills related to the accident including doctors’ visits, prescription drugs, hospital stays, physical therapy, lab work, X-rays and other diagnostic imaging
- Your reduced ability to work and earn a living if your injuries left you disabled and with diminished earning capacity
- Compensation for your physical pain and suffering
- Compensation for your emotional and mental anguish such as depression, anxiety, and diminished quality of life
- Punitive damages against the property owner for their negligent actions
To understand your legal options and whether filing a slip-and-fall accident claim is appropriate in your situation, talk to a Spring Hill personal injury lawyer at Zervos & Calta.
Should I Get a Lawyer for a Slip-and-Fall?
You should talk to a lawyer if you’ve suffered a slip-and-fall injury on someone else’s property. If you need to file a claim against the property owner’s insurance for your injuries, then you should hire an attorney to pursue your slip-and-fall claim for the following reasons:
- These cases aren’t easy to win – To secure compensation for your injuries after a slip-and-fall accident, you’ll have to show how the property owner failed to address a property hazard such as a broken step or wet floor and how their negligent actions directly led to your injuries. You’ll need evidence to support your claim, and a lawyer will know the types of evidence needed to build a case.
- A lawyer has training and knowledge – To recover the maximum amount of compensation for your injuries, you’ll need to identify all the different ways you’ve suffered as a result of the accident. This includes both the direct financial cost of your injuries as well as things that are more indirect, such as your mental anguish and the diminished quality of life you’ve suffered as a result of the accident.
- A lawyer can make sure your case proceeds as smoothly and efficiently as possible – If you don’t get help from a lawyer when making a slip-and-fall accident claim, the insurance company may deny your claim or offer far less than the fair value of the case. A lawyer can handle all the necessary paperwork and negotiations on your behalf in a slip-and-fall claim and make sure that you don’t say anything to an insurer that might hurt your case.
Florida Slip-and-Fall Statute of Limitations
The statute of limitations on slip-and-fall claims in Florida is four years from the date of your injury. This sounds like a long time, but it’s still a smart idea to speak to a slip-and-fall accident attorney as soon as you can. The longer you wait to file a claim, the greater the chance that key evidence may be lost. You also want to give your lawyer as much time as possible to build a strong case on your behalf.
How Much Is Pain and Suffering Worth in a Slip-and-Fall Accident?
Currently, Florida places no limits on the non-economic compensation you can be awarded in a personal injury case. That said, recovering compensation for pain and suffering can be a challenge in a slip-and-fall accident because it’s difficult to quantify.
One way to improve your chances of getting compensation for pain and suffering is to start keeping a daily journal after your accident. Keep track of your pain level every day (use a 1-10 scale or something similar) and note how your pain impacts your ability to work, take part in daily activities, and enjoy things you used to do before the accident.
Your lawyer will also seek evidence that shows the extent of your pain and suffering, such as medical records, statements from health experts, and testimony from friends and family. The more thoroughly that you can document how pain impacts your everyday life, the better your chances of recovering compensation for the pain and suffering you’ve endured since your fall accident.
Contact Our Spring Hill Slip-and-Fall Lawyers
Our Spring Hill slip-and-fall lawyers at Zervos & Calta, PLLC, know the physical and mental toll these kinds of accidents can take on a person. We work hard to help our clients seek the full compensation they need to recover from their injuries. We want to do whatever we can to help you put this painful chapter of your life behind you and move forward with your life.
Our legal team is ready answer any questions you may have about your case and to explain your legal options. Get a free case review by calling our office in Spring Hill or visiting our contact page.