Wrongful Death Attorney in Tarpon Springs
If someone you love has been killed in Tarpon Springs due to another’s careless, reckless, or intentional actions, you may be entitled to pursue compensation in a wrongful death claim. We understand that no amount of compensation could ever replace a lost loved one or ease your suffering. But money can help you cover the costs of supporting yourself and your family and other urgent expenses as you grieve your loss.
To learn more about how the compassionate wrongful death attorneys at Zervos & Calta, PLLC, can help you after a devastating loss, call us or reach out to us online. Our Tarpon Spring personal injury accident lawyers will sit down with you and your family, listen to your story, and help you understand all your rights and legal options during a free and confidential consultation.
- 1 Do You Have a Wrongful Death Case in Tarpon Springs, Florida?
- 2 What Are the Common Causes of Wrongful Death?
- 3 Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim in Florida?
- 4 What Compensation Can I Get with a Wrongful Death Claim in Tarpon Springs?
- 5 How Long Do I Have to File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit in Florida?
- 6 Need a Wrongful Death Attorney in Tarpon Springs? We Are Here to Help.
Do You Have a Wrongful Death Case in Tarpon Springs, Florida?
Legally speaking, a wrongful death occurs when a person dies due to someone else’s negligence or an intentional act. If your loved one would have had grounds to bring a personal injury claim against at-fault parties had he or she survived the accident, you could have grounds to file a wrongful death claim.
To be successful, wrongful death claims must demonstrate several elements, including:
- The negligent party owed a legal duty of care to the deceased, such as a driver who should have exercised reasonable caution or a business owner who had a responsibility to keep their premises reasonably safe.
- The at-fault party breached that reasonable duty of care, and that breach of care directly caused your loved one’s death.
- The breach of care resulted in real damages, or losses for which you can be financially compensated. Real damages can include both economic losses (such as funeral expenses) and non-economic losses (such as the pain and suffering of the victim’s loved ones).
To learn whether you have the right to file a wrongful death claim, please contact us now. We will review your case for free and answer all your questions.
What Are the Common Causes of Wrongful Death?
The Tarpon Springs wrongful death attorneys of Zervos & Calta, PLLC, have the resources and experience to handle all types of wrongful death cases. Some of the common causes of wrongful death victims in Tarpon Springs that we see include:
- Car accidents and vehicle accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bus accidents
- Uber accidents
- Dog and animal bites
- Slip and fall accidents
- Dangerous product accidents
- Construction accidents
- Nursing home abuse or neglect
- Medical malpractice
- Workplace accidents
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim in Florida?
Florida law imposes certain restrictions on the individuals who may file wrongful death claims in court. Specifically, only someone named as a Personal Representative of the deceased can file a wrongful death claim in Florida. Personal Representatives, who are the individuals chosen to handle a person’s estate after they pass, may be nominated by the deceased in a will or named by the court if no will exists.
Although Personal Representatives file wrongful death claims, they do so on behalf of the estate and surviving beneficiaries. The beneficiaries in a wrongful death lawsuit are typically limited to immediate family members, including spouses, children, and parents of the deceased.
What Compensation Can I Get with a Wrongful Death Claim in Tarpon Springs?
The types of damages awarded in a Florida wrongful death case are divided into two main categories, defined by the benefits that can be recovered by either the estate or the surviving family of the deceased. The estate of the victim of a wrongful death can recover economic damages like:
- Loss of net accumulations, or the amount a decedent would have accumulated or saved during his or her lifetime
- Lost earnings and work benefits of the deceased
- Medical expenses incurred before the victim’s death
- Funeral costs and burial expenses
According to Florida law, surviving family members and eligible dependents can recover both economic and non-economic damages, such as:
- Loss of support and services of the deceased
- Loss of the decedent’s companionship, guidance, protection, and instruction
- Pain and suffering on behalf of surviving family members
- Medical or funeral expenses, if surviving family members paid them
How Long Do I Have to File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit in Florida?
We understand that your grieving process may be long and difficult. However, there are legal time limits that apply to your ability to file a wrongful death claim. In Florida, these time limits are defined in a statute of limitations, allowing surviving family members two years from the date of their loved one’s death to bring wrongful death lawsuits in court.
It’s a good idea to speak to a qualified wrongful death attorney in Tarpon Springs as soon as possible if you believe you may have grounds for a claim. A skilled lawyer can relieve many of your burdens and build a strong case to help you pursue financial compensation for your loss.
Need a Wrongful Death Attorney in Tarpon Springs? We Are Here to Help.
You need a skilled attorney to demand the monetary compensation your family deserves. The Tarpon Springs wrongful death lawyers at Zervos & Calta, PLLC, can help you by:
- Communicating with insurers and other third parties on your behalf
- Managing critical legal documents and deadlines
- Identifying and obtaining useful supporting evidence
- Working with expert witnesses, like accident reconstruction specialists
- Negotiating aggressively for a reasonable settlement
- Seeking damages in court, if no settlement can be reached
For more than 50 years, our attorneys have helped families just like yours recover compensation in wrongful death claims. We won’t charge you anything for our efforts unless we win compensation for you. Our compassionate attorneys have been serving Tarpon Springs for years and are standing by now to help you get justice and a measure of closure. If you’ve lost a loved one due to an accident in Tarpon Springs, call us now or contact us online to schedule your free initial consultation.