Owners of commercial, residential, and public properties have a responsibility to maintain safe conditions. When hazards are present – such as torn carpeting or wet floors – passersby can be seriously injured in slip-and-fall accidents or what can also be called a “trip-and-fall.”
If you were recently injured in a slip-and-fall accident, you may be entitled to significant compensation. That compensation can cover your ongoing medical care, lost income, pain and suffering, and other expenses.
It’s essential to hire an experienced attorney when pursuing a slip-and-fall settlement. An attorney can fight for your rights and take aggressive legal action against the responsible parties. At Zervos & Calta, PLLC, we’ve provided trusted legal counsel to injured people filing slip and fall claims throughout Florida for years.
During their careers, our Tarpon Springs injury lawyers are known for:
- Obtaining millions for clients and record-breaking compensation.
- Having years of courtroom experience and results-driven strategies.
- Our exclusive focus on personal injury cases.
If you were harmed through no fault of your own, you shouldn’t have to pay for your own medical bills and other expenses. Our Florida slip-and-fall attorneys are here to help.
To schedule a free consultation with a Florida slip and fall attorney, give us a call or fill out our online contact form. We have several offices throughout Florida. We serve Hernando County, Tarpon Springs, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Spring Hill, and other areas in Florida.
What Do You Have to Prove in a Slip-and-Fall Case?
If you’ve been hurt in a slip-and-fall accident, it’s not enough to simply prove who was at fault for your injury. The person or business that was at fault is known as the defendant. These elements must also be considered in a slip-and-fall case:
- Duty – In legal terms, “duty” refers to the responsibility that you were owed by the defendant. For example, a department store has a duty to provide hazard-free facilities so that guests can safely walk through the store, or warnings, when necessary.
- Standard of Care – Once the duty is identified, you need to establish the “standard of care” that the defendant should have exercised. This refers to the degree of caution that a reasonable person would use in a given situation, such as frequent inspections, immediate cleaning, or warnings, when appropriate.
Suppose you were walking through a department store and slipped on a slick floor. In this situation, the reasonable standard of care would have required the property owner to warn guests with a sign about the slick floor, including ongoing and continuous inspections to prevent it in the first place.
- Damages – After proving that the standard of care was violated, you must show that the breach of care directly caused your injuries. This is referred to as “damages.” In addition to physical harm, damages may also include the financial harm you’ve suffered, such as medical bills or lost wages. If you slipped and fell due to a lack of signage, but you weren’t hurt, you will likely not be able to recover compensation.
While some of these elements of fault seem straightforward, proving negligence can be very complex in a slip-and-fall case. This is why it’s essential to hire a Florida slip-and-fall attorney.
Your attorney can hire expert witnesses to consult on complex issues of liability, the standard of care and damages. Your attorney will also gather evidence to prove fault. That evidence can include witness statements, depositions, photos, videos and the property owner’s maintenance policies and repair records.
How a Florida Slip-and-Fall Attorney Can Help You
If you were wrongfully injured and are seeking a slip-and-fall settlement, don’t fight this legal battle alone. With an experienced slip-and-fall attorney by your side, you’ll have a much better chance of securing the compensation you deserve from your slip and fall claim.
At Zervos & Calta, PLLC, our Florida slip-and-fall lawyer will:
- Evaluate Your Case for Free – Are you still not sure whether to pursue a slip-and-fall settlement? We understand that filing a claim is a major decision. That is why we’ll evaluate your case for free. At your free consultation, one of our experienced attorneys will fully address your questions and concerns. This will give you all the information you need to make the best decision.
- Determine Liability – We’ll fully investigate all sides of your accident, including who was responsible, what they should have done, and how their carelessness caused your injuries. Using this information, we can go after the responsible parties.
- Hire Relevant Experts – Even if you were clearly injured, injuries alone aren’t enough to convince the court that the defendant was negligent. This is where an expert witness can help. Our law firm has access to top-notch experts who can strengthen your case. Our experts will even testify on your behalf, if needed.
- Document Your Injuries – When pursuing compensation after a slip-and-fall accident, it’s important to fully document your injuries. This includes obtaining your medical records, saving receipts and tracking lost income. This information will be compiled by our office so we can demand full and fair compensation.
- Take the Case to Trial – While it’s best to reach a settlement without going to trial, some insurance companies refuse to budge on their low offers. We’re determined to recover the highest compensation available. We’re not afraid to take cases to trial. Our legal team has years of experience in the courtroom. We have recovered significant verdicts for people who were wrongfully injured that have helped them pay their medical bills, recover lost wages, and reclaim their lives.
For added peace of mind, none of the slip and fall attorneys at our law firm will charge you a dime unless we recover compensation on your behalf.